The DAILY DIGEST: INFORMATION and OPINION
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HEADLINES ACROSS CANADA <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
CBCBritish Columbia Calgary Edmonton Saskatchewan Manitoba Thunder Bay Sudbury Windsor Kitchener-Waterloo Hamilton Toronto Ottawa Montreal New Brunswick Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia Newfoundland & LabradorNorth CTV Atlantic CTV Montreal CTV Ottawa CTV Toronto CTV Northern Ontario CTV Kitchener CTV Winnipeg CTV Regina CTVSaskatoon CTV Calgary CTV Edmonton CTV British Columbia
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NATIONAL NEWSWATCH<<<<<<<< http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/
Kevin O�Leary�s little secret: I never wear pants on TV because the CBC is �run by women�
Senate Tories to look for new leader as Claude Carignan decides to step down
Ensuring newcomers know Canadian values up to Canadians, focus groups tell feds
Kellie Leitch roasted on social media for �bizarre� Canadian Values video
Kevin O�Leary says he can�t be bought, sets $50,000 fundraiser minimum
Bats drive civil servants from Gatineau building, documents show
Senate committee slams Liberals for spending $186 billion without a solid plan
Navy�s mishandling of classified documents spawns series of investigations
Alberta Premier Notley expects to meet with members of Trump administration
Kellie Leitch�s Video Is Even Better In All Its Dramatic Silence
Don�t confuse the �Us versus Them� of populism with conservatism
Democracy, Liberal style, returns in nomination battle for vacant Ontario riding
Scattering � what if our news is actually splitting us apart?
Do Trump and Putin have big plans for Canada?
The looming schism in Canadian conservatism
By ignoring border-hopping, Trudeau is asking for trouble
Ex-Liberal premiers have political and wireless connections
Canadians need to know more about Mulroney�s role
Alberta needs to either spend less, or tax more
Kevin O�Leary�s Plan To Hide Private Plane Costs Would Breach Elections Canada Rules
Minister Hehr blocks vets� advocate on Facebook
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOONIE POLITICS<<<<<<<<<<<<<< http://looniepolitics.com/
Even as economy improves, Tory MPs say Alberta needs tax break from Ottawa
Federal Liberals 39, Conservatives 31, NDP 17 in latest Nanos tracking
Premier Rachel Notley pushes Alberta as part of Canada�s broader U.S. approach
Conservative MPs want Liberals to scrap planned carbon tax to get Albertans back to work
Brantford-Brant MP McColeman endorses Tory leadership contender Raitt
O�Leary faces questions about campaign finances and private jet
NDP has a big, bold, bad plan to cut Ontario�s electricity prices - David Reevely, National Post
The subtext of Kellie Leitch�s bizarro video - Scott Feschuk, Macleans
Queen�s Park wants your help to clamp down on �scalper bots� that scoop up tickets - Robert Benzie, Toronto Star
How union leaders can change with the times � or not - Martin Regg Cohn, Toronto Star
Maxime Bernier snags endorsements in Conservative heartland - James Wood, Calgary Herald
Tension crack near Site C dam causes political tension, too - Vaughn Palmer, Vancouver Sun
Plug provincial debt with PST, rein in spending: Alberta Party - Emma Graney, Edmonton Sun
Trudeau talks trade with auto parts manufacturers - CBC News
Banks� dirty little secret: You can hold your mortgage in your RRSP � but is it worth the trouble?- Jason Heath, Financial Post
Pipeline giant TransCanada plans to sell more U.S. holdings to TC Pipelines- CTV News
TOUTES LES NOUVELLES PUBLIES DEPUIS 24 HEURES http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/aujourdhui/
Gr�ve des juristes: la loi sp�ciale est adopt�ePlus
FOREIGN AFFAIRS & GENERAL INFO
Crucifix d�croch� � l'h�pital: le dioc�se de Qu�bec �tr�s d��u�Plus
Lourdes peines de prison pour avoir terroris� des NoirsPlus
Il aurait planifi� de violer et de tuer une ado de 13 ansPlus
Assassinat de Kim: deux femmes seront inculp�es en MalaisiePlus
Temp�rature au-dessus des normales de mars � maiPlus
Des �lus de Vancouver boudent l'inauguration d'une tour TrumpPlus
Une photo d'une conseill�re de Trump enflamme le webPlus
Premier grand discours de Donald Trump au Congr�s et � la nationPlus
Trump propose une hausse �historique� des d�penses militairesPlus
AL�NA: le Mexique menace Washington Plus
Guy Caron se lance dans la course � la direction du NPDPlus
Le Coll�ge Montmorency � Laval a �t� �vacu�Plus
Trump attribue le fiasco final des Oscars � trop de politiquePlus
S�questr�e pendant six heures, elle se confiePlus
Aide de 240 millions $ au Moyen-OrientPlus
O'Leary, trait� de �poule mouill�e�, boude un d�batPlus
La commission Chamberland accorde 19 demandes de participation
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOONIE WORLD<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< http://looniepolitics.com/
Trump: �I haven�t called Russia in 10 years� - Sarah Westwood, Washington Examiner
Trump to Seek $54 Billion Increase in Military Spending - Michael D. Sear, New York Times
George W. Bush: We need answers on Trump team ties to Russia - Olivia Beavers, The Hill
Morocco to withdraw forces from Western Sahara buffer zone- France 24
Abbas: Defend two-state-solution for a Palestine state- Dylan Collins, Al Jazeera
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THE LEBANON DAILY STAR<<<<<<<< http://www.dailystar.com
ISIS militants being killed at level they cannot sustain: UK general
EU lawmakers vote to lift Marine Le Pen's immunity over tweets
Policy details and tone will be key in Trump speech to Congress
In costume, Londoners flip pancakes in annual race
Colon cancer rates rise among Gen X, millennials: study
Twin panda cubs at Vienna Zoo go exploring in first outdoor outing
Ancient Celtic art uncovered in 'unique' gold hoard
Britain and Russia discuss easing tensions, avoiding military accidents: Ifax
Brexit minister urges preparation for deal and no Brexit deal: May's spokesman
Putin says draft U.N. resolution to sanction Syria 'inappropriate'
Juncker to present post-Brexit EU white paper Wednesday
Lithuanian court jails Russian spies
EU says member states may face bigger bill post-Brexit
Judge to hear arguments on Dakota Access oil pipeline work
Relations with U.S. at lowest level since Cold War: Russia's Deputy ForMin
Sturgeon says UK PM May nudging Scotland towards second referendum
Baltic dread: Why we remember oppression and fear its return
Israel braces for report on 2014 Gaza war
The dirty dozen: U.N.�s list of 12 most risky bacteria
Ukraine rebels threaten to seize enterprises over blockade
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sign Of The Times <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<From: Larry Kazdan
Subject: With all due respect to David Bell:
Re: The Federal Government has no more capacity to control unemployment that the Salvation Army has to control sin.
David, the government can offer jobs additional to what the private sector can supply until there is no one left who will take them. It's not rocket science. http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=34412
"For example, during the Great Depression, US President Roosevelt's New Deal was introduced as the private sector was in full-scale retreat from job creation. The Public Works Administration (PWA), which was part of the New Deal, created hundreds of thousands of jobs and the work helped restore ageing public infrastructure (such as, roads, dams and bridges).
Many new buildings were constructed during this period (schools, recreational spaces, libraries, hospitals), which have delivered benefits to the generations that followed.
Harry Kelber (2008) wrote that the WPA meant that:
- Thousands of unemployed writers, actors, musicians and painters were given an opportunity to earn a modest livelihood from their artistic talents and to enrich the lives of countless culturally-deprived citizens. The productions of the WPA Theater Project, for example, entertained a phenomenal audience totaling 60 million people, a great many who had never before seen a play.
At the time, Kelber (2008) notes that the private electricity providers stridently opposed the challenge to their monopoly control. The upshot was that the project forced them to reduce their power charges.
In general, the dynamism of the public sector at that time caused huge outcries from the capitalists who didn't want challenges to their cosy profit making industries from public sector enterprise.
But societal well-being was unambigously advanced.
[Reference: Kelber, H. (2008) How the New Deal Created Millions of Jobs To Lift the American People from Depression, The Labor Educator, May 9, 2008. LINK.]
To: Toronto Star <email@example.com>
Subject: Re: The NDP need a principled approach to policy, not a rock star leader: H�bert, February 27, 2017
Implementing progressive social and environmental policies will require a robust federal budget which the NDP must champion. A bold program is a recognition that the market will not solve all problems and that a government truly dedicated to public purpose must put its money where its mouth is.
During the recent financial crisis when big banks and credit card companies experienced liquidity problems, the federal government came to their rescue with a generous $200 billion support program. The same fiscal capacity (which comes from owning a central bank with sovereign currency) could also fund a Just Transition framework that would provide immediate relief as regions moved toward sustainable and environment-friendly jobs. Studies suggest that alternative investments in renewable energy, conservation, public transit and building retrofits (rather than pipelines) would create between 3 and 34 times the number of direct jobs.
The NDP must sharply differentiate itself from conventional economic policies and boldly go where no party has gone before.
1. Improving Access to Financing and Strengthening Canada's ...
- To soften the impact of the crisis, the first phase of Canada's Economic Action Plan included measures to provide up to $200 billion to support lending to Canadian households and businesses through the Extraordinary Financing Framework.
- A just transition in any threatened region or sector requires government intervention and community partnerships to create the regulatory framework, infrastructure and market incentives for the creation of well-paid, secure, healthy, satisfying environmentally-friendly jobs with particular attention to appropriately meeting the needs of affected workers and their communities.
- Government support in a progressive world must include:
- Assistance for both displaced workers and for contractors;
- Adequate notice of workplace change and closures;
- Consultation with and full engagement of relevant unions;
- Support for innovation and partnerships for new local industries, research and development and infrastructure investments;
- Training and alternative employment tailored to local and individual needs and opportunities;
- Special targeted support for older, disabled and less educated workers;
- Relocation assistance for displaced workers;
- Income maintenance, redundancy entitlements and retraining allowances;
- Cheap loans and subsidies for new industries and employers;
- Compensation and equipment buy-outs for contractors;
- Assistance programs extended to workers employed by contractors;
- A just transition requires investment in training programs and apprenticeships to create a highly trained green workforce;
- The introduction of a Job Guarantee to provide continuous employment for all those without work.
3. The Economic Costs and Benefits of the Proposed Northern Gateway Pipeline
- Alternative $5 billion investments in green jobs and industries would create between 3 and 34 times the number of direct jobs